About Me

My photo
St Mary's, GA, United States
Weekly bulletin. Church Office Phone: (912) 882-5800

Friday, August 15, 2008

CALMING THE STORMS

As I sat here Wednesday trying to thing of what to write for the article this week, a storm blew in. I sat here and watched the rain falling almost parallel to the ground. There was some thunder and lightning and very heavy winds and rain. It made me think of what might have been happening one night almost 2000 years ago.

Now when He got into a boat, His disciples followed Him. And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He was asleep. Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!” But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. So the men marveled, saying, “Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?” (Matthew 8:23-27). The disciples were in the middle of a storm and were in fear for their lives. Jesus was able to calm the storm and left them in amazement.

Storms will come in our lives. No one goes through life unscathed. Perhaps you have faced disease or death, financial setbacks, personal turmoil, or spiritual struggles. We have all been there one way or the other. The apostle Paul writes, “Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution” (2 Timothy 3:12). Even for the Christian, it is not a matter of if troubles will come, but when.

Jesus is with us in the storm. The disciples had the solution to the storm with them in the boat. It seems to me by their reaction that they were not expecting Him to do what He did. David wrote in the well-known and loved 23rd Psalm, “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me” (verse 4). When we face the storms of life, no matter what form they may take, remember Jesus is right there with us.

Jesus will see us through the storm. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me (2 Corinthians 12:9). In this text, Paul is speaking of his thorn in the flesh. Three times he pleaded with the Lord to remove it. The Lord’s response was “No, I will not remove it, but I will help you deal with it.” He may not always calm the storm as He did with the disciples, but He will always help us deal with the storm and come through it.

What are the storms in your life today? How long have you been trying to handle them by yourself? Give them to God; He will take care of it. 1 Peter 5:7 – “(C)asting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” He cares so much that He sent His Son to die for you (John 3:16). If He was willing to make such a sacrifice, surely He will calm the storms in your life.
--Lamar

No comments: