About Me

My photo
St Mary's, GA, United States
Weekly bulletin. Church Office Phone: (912) 882-5800

Friday, February 29, 2008

ASSURANCE OF SALVATION

There are many in the religious world who believe in the doctrine “once saved, always saved,” or “perseverance of the saints.” This is the idea that once a person accepts Christ and becomes a Christian he, or she, cannot lose their eternal salvation. Some promote the idea that once you become a Christian and receive the Holy Spirit, He acts in your life in such a way to prevent you from sinning. Others say that if a Christian commits sin then that person was never really saved in the first place. Such a doctrine is wrong. There are many passages in Scripture which warn of saved people being lost. Paul tells the Galatian Christians, “You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace” (Galatians 5:4). Even Paul himself was aware of the danger that he could be lost. “But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified” (1 Corinthians 9:27).

However, that does not mean we cannot have assurance of salvation. Eric Lyons conducted an anonymous survey in a congregation of about 200 members. One question read as follows: “If you died within the next ten minutes, do you believe you would go to Heaven?” 9% responded that they knew unreservedly that if they died at the time they were taking the survey, they would not go to Heaven. Nearly 50% of the congregation was unsure as to whether they would go to Heaven. And only 40% believed they would go to Heaven if they died that very day. In other words, almost 60% of the congregation either knew they were lost or did not know if they were saved! (Apologetics Press.org).

Does this attitude agree with Scripture? No, it does not. There are many passages which could be quoted, but I will give you two.

2 Timothy 4:6-8 - For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

1 John 5:13 - These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

Do you see any doubt or uncertainty in Paul’s words? It seems to me he is confident in his eternal salvation. Why? Because he was such a good person? No. In his first letter to Timothy, Paul refers to himself as the chief of sinners (1 Timothy 1:15). Paul realized the fact that he was a sinner, but a sinner cleansed by the blood of Christ and forgiven by the grace of God. As John writes, he does not say that we can hope we have eternal life, but that we can know. What is that knowledge based upon? That we believe in the name of the Son of God and continue to believe. This is not a license to sin. As noted earlier, we must be careful lest we lose our salvation. It is not a confidence in our own goodness, although we must lead good lives. It is a confidence in God.
--Lamar

No comments: